Skip to my Loo, and linoleum too. Oct 24, 07

Well - I'm STARTING blogging at 2am... so this is gonna be short and sweet, but because I left you guys hanging so long, I wanted to make sure and keep you updated this week. Really the day was, for a change, not that eventful. But we did get a lot done. In fact, it might well be that when we GET a lot done...less happens to us?

The cookies are gone. And, you know, I think they actually sped my recovery. I'm now feeling a whole lot better. I'm not a hundred percent, but my energy level is increased ten fold.

We tackled three big jobs today - and almost got them all completed. In fact, for a change, we almost accomplished what we set out to at the beginning of the day! We held off on going to Fort Wayne today to get the bathroom door and molding... and it's amazing how much time you save when you don't have to make those trips.

First thing was the toilet. I have NO idea how Rich figured out how to actually install a toilet. Watching him, I have to say, I was kind of stunned at how easy he seemed to make it look.


I always thought there would be a zillion parts... but I guess the toilet is a means to an end as it were...rather than the complicated structure which connects to it. Did that make ANY sense? Anyway - even though I said Rich made it seem pretty easy... it was really finicky and he had a heck of a time turning himself into a pretzel to reach the nuts and bolts that attach that holds the the bowl. Keith will not be calling me any time soon to join as partner. We did learn one lesson though. Ok, so there is this thing called a wax ring:

RE-WAX, GO TO IT, WHEN YOU WANNA PLUMB 253161_front200.jpg

which is what apparently stops water gushing out all over your floor every time you flush. So the deal is, and apparently this is like the eleventh commandment, you CANNOT lift the toilet up again once you put the toilet down on this thing and it seals. I mean, you CAN but you need to replace the wax ring. You can't compromise the wax. So - the lesson we learned was... when installing your toilet, make sure that some of the little washers and nuts that you need to assemble the toilet are FAR ENOUGH AWAY from your work area, that when you put the toilet DOWN on the wax ring...they are not sealed inside a porcelain crypt for all eternity. We used stunt double nuts.

So, other than that, it went it pretty quickly... about an hour. Ok, so Keith could probably install a toilet in like four seconds... but Rich had ME and PO assisting him. I mean - I actually DID STUFF - how well is THAT gonna go??? And as for Po... she seemed ALLLLL about the toilet installation.


BTW did you know that Thomas Crapper was the guy largely responsible for popularizing the flush toilet...and that's why it's called the Crapper. Seriously. Just wanted to share.



But, despite his handicaps (us), we now have a toilet in the bathroom. And it flushes without flooding Natalie's office below. :) We haven't USED it yet - I mean, there isn't a DOOR on the room yet. Or blinds. Both of those would probably be a good idea...because as much as we want to attract a crowd at the Huntington...we aren't that desperate. Yet.


I just want you to know that I tried for like ten minutes to get him to sit on the toilet - with the lid DOWN for Pete's sake - for that picture. Not a chance.

So. Project number two. Jo Jo was set the task of getting the marathon length new ledge-wall running through our whole bedroom into the kitchen texturized. We had decided to Drylock it - even though it wasn't the EXACT same texture as the walls above... but with the ledge in between...and since it's well below eye level - I figured it was fine. And it was Rich's preference...and he can now stick my head in the toilet. Because we have a toilet. So. I had to decide whether to use ACTUAL Drylock, (which is actually a moisture-seal product - and therefore very expensive by the gallon) or to use a substitute texture-er. Namely joint compound. Which, we had read, worked perfectly well. And considering we've used it to do practically everything else around here (the only thing left is it being assigned as a food group... wait until we have a kitchen) we figured we should give it a shot. And it did. I got a mess of it into a big bucket (enough I figured to be about a gallon worth of guck), and then watered it down to about the consistency of tapioca pudding. And it worked great. Just like the drylock texture - and the cost difference is RIDICULOUS. Obviously I'll use the Drylock for more heavy duty things - but just to create texture - this makes a whole lot more sense for our budget.


And here's a shot of the texture... joint-compound.JPG

The last HUGE thing we managed today...and we started WAY tooooo late in the evening for this to be sane...was the linoleum. We had done all the kitchen clean-up during the day... and, as you can imagine, it's still quite a mess. So it took a while. But when you put that stuff down, the floor has to be clear of all crap otherwise it will show through and be bumpy or even rip when it's installed. So - we vacuumed and swept and repeat and repeat.

After dinner we got home and finally rolled the stuff out. Rich discovered that the store had BARELY given us the 16' we ordered - in an uneven cut. And normally they will cut you a little excess. Here they measured exactly sixteen feet, and then cut a wavy line which often went inside the mark. Which meant our margin of error was very minimal. And this was a really big piece to maneuver in such a small room. Through such a small door. We were way to tired to start his project - who knows what we were thinking. Because when we're tired we both get impatient... and even though the linoleum is beige...I'm kinda amazed it didn't end up red.

Rich and I took a bunch of measurements... and he tried to cut at least the beginning shape downstairs...but with such a small amount of safety excess (on all directions...because the roll only comes 12' wide...and we needed all of it in some places), we eventually decided we just had to cut it in place. Which was a nightmare. First we had to get the thing upstairs, and through the door without creasing it too much and doing damage. After half an hour of debate about the best way to approach this, we finally carried it upstairs, sent half of it hanging out the window, then pivoted and fed it back into the room. There was no possible way to unroll this stuff and manipulate it on the floor (which had been the thing that had my stymied) so Rich pointed out (while wielding the large curved linoleum knife) that we could set the roll on the countertops, and unravel from there. So that's how we started.


Then we had to start trying to line it up to cut it. This was just plain awful. Awful awful awful. We really needed like two more people to help fold and drape linoleum and keep it from creasing in on itself. And because the longer it was sitting there all bundled in awkward positions, the more damage it was doing to itself (potentially)...the more stressful things got. Figuring out how to line everything up so that he could cut the first protrusion into his office and the bedroom was the worst. As the grumpiness magnified I kept saying that we should have done this BEFORE installing the cabinets, because it would have taken about fifteen minutes. Rich kept saying 'that's not the way you're supposed to do it'. And I kept saying 'that's not the way people who know what they are DOING know how to do it...but we're CLUELESS!". It was all very loving. Finally Rich actually figured out that he if he took ONE of the cabinets out (the single 'microwave area' cabinet near his office) then we would be able to maneuver everything better for the first set of cuts. And he did. And after that things went a whole lot smoother. And we were too tired to kill each other, so we started actually having a much better time. Exhaustion... it brings people together.

So - like I said - after this initial cut it got a lot smoother. Still a giant pain in the keester...but do-able.





and finally back to the begining...


So - to be honest - when we saw it in the room we weren't as crazy about it as we had hoped. But, in these pictures it actually looks pretty we think it may just be that the flourescent light makes it look a little dingy at night. Part if it was that we really loved another pattern - but as you may recall - that stuff was like six times the price. And this IS nice... and it will grow on me. Like Po's fatty lump :)

Speaking of four legged friends... Jean Anne lost Mitch today. She put on a very brave face, and I know it was awful for her and the whole family.

IN MEMORIAM 3schnauzer_btn.jpg

G'night. Jo Jo.