Well... the wall is WALLED. My whole 2x4 masterpiece is currently standing strong (and still standing several hours later, which is even more encouraging).It took a good chunk of the day into the afternoon for me to finish - but it got the Pack Leader Seal of Approval. The side wall which runs along where the doorway is to the foyer was really pretty easy... the main part of the brain power went into making the angled header. The ceiling in the kitchen has a bunch of funky angles that ALSO contain slopes (not just sharp lines) - so that makes it quite a challenge. But - I was pretty determined to impress the Rich Rich... so I went upstairs in the auditorium to the Great Cardboard Burial Ground and constructed me'self a template. It tore the carboard into smaller lengths and then ran it along the ceiling taping a new piece every time the angle changed. So then I had an accurate plan of the angles to lay out on the floor:
Soooo... then I was able to lay out pieces of two by four scraps like a little jigsaw puzzle and figure out where I had to use a new piece because of an angle change. And - if I kept it all fitting snug in the template it should slot-in all perfect-like. Then I had to face my next major JO JO Challenge (a Jo Jo Challenge is an obstacle which can easily be solved by your average head of arugala... but which causes me consternation.) This involved cutting angles on the Chop Saw - (Chop Saw is NOT something you order at the China Buffet, FYI). Not only did I have to cut the desired angle successfully - I first had to FIGURE OUT the desired angle. I'm sure there is a Bob-Better way to do this than I resorted to (I'll ask him next time he's here) - but I managed pretty well and actually cut the pieces fine with only one or two total mind-farts. The thing that was driving me REALLY nutty was Bob's Chop Saw. It has this lever that you push down to release a handle, and then you turn this handle to whatever degree you want the saw to cut (and the blade follows suit). It's really nice because it allows you to do it to a degree setting OR an eyeball setting (against a pencil line on your wood... or whatever)... but I found this thing SOOOO stubborn. It was really tough to make the thing move either direction and you'd kind of have to manhandle it to get it to start moving it - which made a successful adjustment of one or two degrees really hard. I think I actually screwed up my neck for the next couple of days fighting with the thing. BUT it does a great job - cuts really cleanly - and has a nice safety guard... which is important for those of us who like their fingers. So at the end of the day I said to Rich "That Chop Saw is really cool, but I hate the angle adjustment because it's so impossible to get to move". Rich says:
"Did you unscrew the lock".
Ah. A lock. Unscrew. Good to know.
Another droplet collected in the Eye Droper of Knowledge from the Vast Ocean of Joel's ignorance.
Anyway - so I put the whole thing together - cut and measured and angled and stuff. And put a handful of screws in JUST to keep it in one piece - because I didn't want to get it up there to see if it fit - and then have to take the WHOLE thing apart again because I'd made some dumb error. And it fit!!! It was a little snug - so I had to take a quarter of an inch off one side (which luckily was just a vertical right-angle section... and then I hammered and screwed the thing together and installed it!!!
And here's one where you can appreciate the entire glorious vista (the other new addition is the section on the right):
Now - here's a Jo Jo handy constructor tip. And this is actually one I did NOT learn from my mistakes on... I anticipated my mistake and DIDN'T do the doofus thing. KEEP YOUR TEMPLATE... because I still have to cover the thing with drywall... So I can use the same template to cut the perfect size plug of drywall to fit up there. :) See - if I'd thrown it out I'd have to template all over again. Every once in a while the noggin kicks into gear.
So - that was a pretty big day and a half-er accomplished. Yay! Rich has been holed up in his office like Bob Crachit toiling away at website designs. We did have a moment of whoo-hoo though when our prototype test-em-out note cards arrived with the new (and blog audience favorite) logo on it.
And we were both really happy with it. It's kind of awesome. It's the drop shadow... for some reason the drop shadow is classy - it actually transcends into class-SAE. But the cards look really cool and modern and awesome... and now we just y'know, need an actual sign that looks half that good - rather than a rusting monster that shoots sparks like an apparatus in a Frankenstein movie. Patience, patience.
We spent the evening actually BEING SOCIAL. We met a new fledgling friend - he works for NPR (the radio version of PBS for those of you who aren't in the States) and he was totally excited about the theatre and had great ideas about people we should approach to be on the board of the non-profit, and some radio arts programs he can book us on when we're ready... really really nice. And, frankly, it was really nice to be out somewhere and have someone make a Lorna Luft reference. :)
Today (yes... I'm writing the blog in the morning) will be allllll about paperwork. So don't expect anything tooo exciting, kids. But I'll make something up. Maybe about Lorna Luft.
On a totally serious note... we just found out that Winston (Guest Blogger, Po Advocate, and Most Loyal Commenter) lost both his Aunt and his Grandmother in the process of like two days. We haven't managed to speak with him yet... but we love him very much and our sympathies go to him. We have often been regaled with improbably, delightful and colorful Midnight In the Garden of Evil style tales of his Louisiana Grandmother... so the Art of Storytelling has lost one of it's great muses.
See you later. Jo Jo.